Director of External Affairs
The deadline to apply for this position has now closed. We are currently reviewing applications and will be in touch with successful candidates regarding the next stage. We received a large number of applications for this position and so, unfortunately, will not be able to reply to individuals who have been unsuccessful.
About Good Law Project
Good Law Project is a not-for-profit campaign organisation that uses the law to create a better world. We challenge abuses of power, exploitation, inequality and injustice. We had a primary role in overturning the prorogation of Parliament in 2019 and have more recently been shining a bright light on the Government’s award of PPE contracts and jobs to their associates.
A bold, young organisation with a ground-breaking track record, we speak the truth and act with integrity.
We’re nimble and reactive to external events, which means Good Law Project suits people who thrive in a fast-paced environment and share our passion for upholding democracy, protecting the environment, and ensuring no one is left behind. We are brave, honest, and decisive; those are Good Law Project’s values.
As we begin our next stage of development, we are seeking to recruit an experienced Director of External Affairs. You will be responsible for providing strategic direction and leadership, and delivering impactful communications, media, and public affairs strategies and programmes, which raise the profile of the organisation among decision-makers and the wider public. You will ensure that the political/public affairs context is factored into all decisions within Good Law Project.
Full details of the role, including how to apply, are available here: https://www.berwickpartners.co.uk/opportunities/assignment/85987/
You will report to the Executive Director, Jo Maugham.
Salary: £80,000, with generous benefits including enhanced pension contribution and private medical insurance, 25 days annual holidays plus public holidays.
Hours: 35 per week over 5 days
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Hybrid working with an office in central London (subject to any COVID-19 restrictions) and options for flexibility to work from home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributing to the strategic direction of the organisation as a member of the Senior Management Team
- Working with your immediate peer, the Director of Campaigns, to design and secure external engagement through earned media in support of Good Law Project
- Developing media lines and key messaging, working closely with your peers the Campaigns team
- Overseeing the response/rebuttal to third party coverage of the organisation
- Maintaining a broad network of relationships with journalists, community leaders, partner or complementary organisations, policymakers and other influential third parties
- Providing insight and feedback to colleagues on SMT and throughout the organisation on the public policy environment
- Active supporting and embedding Good Law Project’s values and its positive culture in your professional practice.
Experience and Knowledge
- Experience of leadership roles in a high growth/scale-up environment
- Experience of leading a busy communications team in media, corporate communications or in a similar field
- Experience of leading an impactful public affairs programme and team
- Experience of managing and developing a team
- Budget and financial management experience as part of a senior role
- Experience of remaining calm in high pressured environments
- Comprehensive knowledge of UK media and political environment, the interplay between politics and public opinion, and how Good Law Project can influence and effect change
- Understanding of media and communications trends.
Encouragement of equal opportunity and reasonable adjustments: We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds and do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability (physical or learning), LGBT or relationship status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex or social class. We particularly welcome applications from BAME candidates and/or those with lived experience of disadvantage.
We encourage people with disabilities to advise us of any reasonable adjustments you may need during the recruitment process to ensure you have the opportunity to present yourself in a comfortable manner. Please mention your disability in your application. If your application demonstrates the essential criteria for the role, we will guarantee an interview and discuss any special arrangements you may need.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 5th June 2022 at 23:59