The deadline to apply for this position has now closed. We are currently reviewing applications and will be in touch with successful candidates regarding the next stage. We received a large number of applications for this position and so, unfortunately, will not be able to reply to individuals who have been unsuccessful.
Deadline for applications: 11pm, 20 February 2022
We are now looking for a Financial Controller.
You will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
About Good Law Project:
Good Law Project’s mission is to use the law for a better world. We defend, define and change the law to protect the environment, uphold democracy and ensure no one is left behind. We hold government and others to account through challenges in the courts, or through campaigning for positive change.
We are a small and young organisation, but we have been expanding quickly, with increasingly prominent and successful legal cases: we had a primary role in overturning the prorogation of Parliament in 2019 and have more recently been shining a bright light on the government’s award of PPE contracts and jobs to their friends and associates. We raise funds directly from the public for our work in the public interest, and we operate on a not for profit basis. We are brave, honest and decisive – those are Good Law Project’s values. We recognise the value of our employees, individually and collectively and are committed to investing in their welfare. Together, we can make a change.
- Prepare the annual accounts in line with reporting standards and liaise with external parties, including the auditors
- Prepare financial information for the annual report
- Deliver strong overall financial control for the organisation
- Manage and develop the accounting system
- Ensure accurate and complete records for restricted funds
- Work with the fundraising team to ensure that finance and fundraising metrics are accurately calculated and reported
- Prepare budgets, forecasts, financial models and scenarios
- Develop the budgeting and forecasting process for the organisation, supporting budget holders to develop their financial plans
- Manage the month-end closure and prepare monthly management accounts
- Work with budget holders, senior management and other stakeholders to provide decision making support and information
- Help manage, upgrade and automate GLP’s banking arrangements
- Prepare regular cash flow requirements
- Register GLP for VAT and file VAT returns
- Support the assessment of risks and required reserves for the organisation
- Support the setting up of new entities within the Good Law Project group
- Line management and development of one staff member
The Successful Applicant
You will be a fully qualified accountant (ACA, CIMA, ACCA or similar) or part qualified with significant experience and you will hold strong all-round finance capabilities. In particular, you will hold a strong understanding of technical accounting and financial reporting standards, and excellent process development skills.
An ability to liaise and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels is extremely important, as is flexibility and adaptability.
Not-for-profit experience is not essential, but it is highly desirable that you support and hold alignment with the Good Law Project’s values.
We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds and do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability (physical or learning), LGBT or relationship status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, gender or social class.
What’s on Offer
- Salary £56,000
- Excellent pension contribution
- 25 days annual leave
- Excellent joint parental leave offering
- Private medical insurance
- Hybrid working
Please follow this link for further information on how to apply: https://www.michaelpage.co.uk/job-detail/financial-controller/ref/jn-012022-5243445